Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Picking Up (5 years later!)

It's tough to come back to a project after it has languished. Not so much because it isn't fun getting back to work, but because the inner-cynic does a good job of tempering my enthusiasm. At any rate, I'll be returning to the project as time allows.

The most exciting news at this point is that I've acquired a boat shed. My boys and I got it mostly assembled the other day, and tomorrow we'll finish it up and see what we can do to get the Alberg 30 tucked inside. Currently the boat is hanging about 6' past the rear of the shed, and although I could move the shed to accommodate the boat, doing so would make it very tough to get the cars out of the garage. The plan for tomorrow is to move the boat by rolling it atop round fence posts. We'll see if that works. Once the boat's tucked inside, I'll buy a couple of tarps to cover the shed. It'll be nice to have a structure that doesn't need constant tending during the winter like the old ridge pole and tarp setup.

Recently, I made the decision to remove the Westerbeke diesel to rebuild the beds and, while it is out, allow access to the bilge area. During the re-power - long before I owned the boat - the installer bolted angle iron tabs to the existing engine bed. The installation qualifies as a "quick-n-dirty," the old Atomic 4 beds not sufficiently designed for the narrower Westerbeke. Beyond that, the angle iron tabs aren't properly aligned, so one flexible mount is actually forced off at an angle to meet up with the engine-mounted tab. I've already removed the prop and shaft coupling, so the engine's ready to come out as soon as I rig up a hoist.

No comments: