Friday, April 07, 2006

Das grinder es kaput!

After chiseling out the remains of the starboard bulkhead from between the tabbing, I decided to try out a flapper wheel on the grinder in the hope that it would make short work of the prep work for tabbing in the new bulkheads. Sure enough, it worked great...that is, until the grinder decided to pack it in. It began signaling its demise by varying rpm, a faint odor of burning electrical goods, and, upon shutting it down, stopping almost immediately rather than slowly spinning to a stop. Too bad. Before I head out to buy another, though, I'm going to see if I can't resurrect this one.
I was tempted to quit for the day since the plan was to get all the grinding done, but I decided that as long as I was all suited up I might as well clean things up - the fiberglass dust was so thick tools were beginning to disappear. I filled the trash can with pieces of bulkhead, shelving, and fiberglass tabbing, then gave the interior a good vacuuming. After all that, I hosed down the decks to get rid of leaves and pine needles that had collected along the toe rail and in the cockpit.
Sunday I'll get back to grinding - either with a new grinder or the old one resurrected.

Cleaning up.

No comments: