Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Alternate Part Numbers and Sources

Prepping the Westerbeke for startup involved raiding the spares kit to replace some parts.  I ordered two replacement oil filters and a fuel filter element from Torresen Marine here in Michigan for nearly $50.00, but I held off buying a replacement impeller because I thought I could find one for less than $40 for the original Westerbeke part.

After a little internet sleuthing, I've found an alternative FRAM number for the Westerbeke oil filter: PH3593A.  I have yet to confirm that it's a match, but that number should cross reference with other brands, too, such as Bosch.  I don't intend to be cheap, but where a less expensive - and equally suitable - alternative is available, why not use it?

The Westerbeke impeller kit (part #34440) retails for about $40, but the impeller is a Johnson 810 (#09-810B-1) that can be had online for less than $20, including shipping.  I just bought one on Ebay for $18.45.

For commonly replaced parts, it seems like a good thing to have alternatives.

No comments: