Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Settees, Galley, and Ice box/Nav

It's amazing how many steps it takes to cut one piece of wood to fit within the contours of a boat's geometry - especially when the power tools are on the ground and the measurements and fitting are within the boat (via a rickety ladder).

I've made good progress over the last couple days, however. I measured and cut plywood for the port and starboard settee fronts; the galley bulkhead, which is also the starboard engine box panel; the ice box bulkhead, which is the port engine box panel; both port and starboard settee tops and center supports. It's crazy how so few parts can consume two 10-hour days - and they're not even tabbed in place yet. Much of my time is spent trying to visualize what I want and how I want the parts to come together. And then once I've decided that, the process of defining an edge from which to take my measurements, and then taking the measurements, eats up even more time. And, of course, transferring my measurements to a piece of plywood and then cutting it out carefully takes yet more time. Nothing about this is fast. But why should it be? I've had this project for ten long years already!

But how incredibly satisfying it was yesterday to drag the settee cushions out of the basement and test fit them on the new settees! Had I not been so hot and sweaty and covered in sawdust, I could have taken a nap.

Determining level and settee height.

The two bulkheads framing the beginning of the engine box.

I couldn't resist: I had to try the cushion in place to see how things fit.

The starboard cushion wasn't cut properly, so it's tight at the forward outboard end.

1/2" ply for the settee tops; 3/4" ply for the settee fronts.

So far my materials are: 3 sheets 3/4" ply; 3 sheets 1/2" ply; 100 SS fasteners; 2 8' pine boards for cleat material.

Today I glassed in the forward side of the port bulkhead - and it took far longer than I expected. Wetting out 1708 biaxial cloth takes a lot of time! My setup wasn't the most efficient either. I did two layers of 6" and 4" tabbing all around the edge of the bulkhead.


I went ahead and cut all the layers/strips of cloth for the other side of this bulkhead and both sides of the starboard bulkhead. I'll tackle that job tomorrow after my epoxy mess in the cabin hardens and I can set up a more efficient work station.

4 comments:

Adventures of Salacia said...

Looking great! Lots of progress

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Thanks! I'd like to make a bit more progress before the temps get too cool for fiberglass work. Fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

For a greater appreciation of your progress, reread (in one sitting) all of your posts from the past several months. You've accomplished a lot, and it looks great. You should be proud.
Fortunately, having a liner boat may save me from having to re-tab all of my bulkheads.

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Thanks, Chip. Hopefully I can keep things moving forward. I hope you're able to avoid as much rebuilding as possible (sailing is a lot more fun).