Sunday, August 16, 2015

Yep, more tabbing

It seems like I'm finding about three hours each day to make progress on the Alberg. I began around 9 this morning and wrapped up at 11:30, making it 2.5hrs of fiberglassing. I'll be honest: I used to think fiberglassing was kinda cool; now I think it's a bit tedious. Like the grinding before it, I'm eager to get the fiberglassing done.

I glassed in the bulkheads on the port side of the saloon, once again using the unidirectional cloth. There's nothing too interesting to report about that. It went well. One little surprise is just how quickly I'm depleting my recently-purchased gallon of resin. Holy cow, this stuff goes fast - at $100/gallon! Ouch! As I'm tabbing, I find my mind considering cheaper alternatives, then coming back to the foolishness of cutting corners when I'm this far into the project. I'm sure polyester resin would be fine for the "furniture" installations (it's what Whitby used when they installed the bulkheads, etc), but I guess it's frowned upon in the boat rebuilding circles - at least that's my guess. Anyone care to enlighten me? Am I wasting too much money by using West System to install these bits?

Inside of the port settee

Galley ice box bulkhead

Aft end of the galley ice box bulkhead

8 comments:

Adventures of Salacia said...

Looking good...I'm going to fix up interior of my Alberg during this refit but nothing on the scale of what you have going on..
Good luck and thank you for the pics

Adventures of Salacia said...

Looking good...I'm going to fix up interior of my Alberg during this refit but nothing on the scale of what you have going on..
Good luck and thank you for the pics

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Thanks. I'm having fun - even though today was HOT and humid.

Santana1973 said...

Your boat looks great! I'm doing a similar refit on a Bristol 40. Been using Total Boat Epoxy resin, from Jamestown Distributors instead of West System. Been very satisfied with the results and its alot cheaper.

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Santana1973: Thanks. Have you seen or read any comparisons of West System and Total Boat Epoxy? Do they perform the same? I'd love to find something that's as good or better for less money (wouldn't' everyone?!).
Do you have a blog of your refit? I'd love to follow along.

Santana1973 said...

Have not seen any comparisons other than what is on the comments part of Jamestown's web site. But from my own experience I'm sold on the stuff. I've used West for probably the past 25-28 years and switched a year ago to the total boat epoxy and I like it alot more. Working time is good with both the slow and fast hardner. It wets out nicely and seems to be super strong when it sets. I had 2 gallons of west hardner left over and gave that a try as well and the total boat epoxy cures and works jest fine with the West hardner. So if you need to that's an option also. I've used it for heavy hull layups and delicate stuff also, and mixing with structural thickener for fillets and filling holes.
I don't have a blog but should start one at some point. There are some pics of the boat on Tim Furman's site write byte.net in the Bristol 40 Slaute section under Santana.

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Hey, I appreciate the information and recommendation. Thanks! I'll see if I can find those pics.

Santana1973 said...

Any time, here's a link to the site.
http://www.writebyte.net/writebyte.dll/GetPage?PageId=Santana

Getting ready to send in some more, as alot has been done since the last time I posted photos.

Cheers