Sunday, September 06, 2015

Cabinet doors

There's nothing like having the right tool for the job! My old (and super cheap) Craftsman jigsaw simply can't make a straight cut, and I don't have the money for a new jigsaw, so I borrowed a nice Bosch jigsaw from my high school's shop. Wow! With a new scroll saw blade, the saw made a straight and perfectly vertical cut in the head cabinet face. What a joy it is to use a tool like that.

Before making the cuts, however, I marked the centerline of the face and measured for and marked my cutlines. I located the doors slightly lower, leaving the bottom shelf exposed, because I didn't want the tabbing that will eventually secure the top edge of the piece to interfere with closing the doors. I closed off the gap between the shelf and the cutout with a 1x2 cleat that will also provide a better surface for securing the face to the shelf. I did the same with the upper shelf to both secure it and provide an area to eventually attach the door latches. The doors, by the way, are original, making them 50 years old! I like the idea of keeping the boat's soul alive by reusing some of her original parts.

Layout and cut marks 
Adding cleat for bottom shelf

No latches yet, so doors hang loose.

Cleat fills gap under bottom shelf.

Cleat added to upper shelf.

2 comments:

Adventures of Salacia said...

Wow....lots of progress over the last few weeks..must feel good to see it coming back together.
I am continuing to dismantle mine Alberg and boy do I have some serious work ahead....there are at least 84 hole thru the rear lazarette deck that need to be filled....84....just the lazarette!

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Yes, it feels very good! Good luck with your boat; I just checked in on your blog a minute ago.