Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Door jambs and head shelves

I managed a bit of time this evening and decided moving forward with something - regardless of how small - was still progress. It's frustrating to not have much time, but c'est la guerre.

I began by cutting the port door jamb that I'd epoxied together earlier down to size. I test fit it, and then drilled mounting holes, countersinking each one, on both door jambs. After wiping both mounting surfaces and the edges of the plywood bulkheads with acetone, I mixed a batch of thickened epoxy, coated the bulkhead edges, and screwed the door jambs in place. The tops of the jambs will be trimmed later to accommodate the head of the doorframe that follows the curvature of the cabin.


I cut the port door jamb such that the epoxied joint would be at the bottom and out of sight.


With a little time remaining, I decided to install four cleats for the port head locker. That done, I cut a new shelf out of 1/2" ply and set it in place. Ultimately it will be glassed to the hull and chainplate.


And that was it for today.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking good. I'm jealous of the progress you are making. The amount of tabbing and glass work you are having to do seems daunting to me. I have a liner boat, so much of what you are doing won't be necessary. The bulk of my interior glass work will be on the settee backs upward and in the V berth where I plan to remove the factory water tank and build an integrated tank. Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Thanks, Chip. The fiberglassing isn't especially difficult; it's just time consuming - and expensive! Each gallon of resin and quart of hardener costs about $150. I'm hoping to keep the project moving - or at least creeping - forward. Good luck with boat!

Once I'm done with the main cabin, I plan to redo the v-berth area including ripping out the old water tank and installing a new one. That's a bit down the road at this point, however.