Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Round Two

I just wasn't satisfied with the first engine position mockup. Although the angle of the engine was well within tolerances, I wasn't getting enough room under the aft mounts to allow sufficient engine foundation and eventual thread purchase for the bolts. After making sure I was ready to start over, I did just that.

I increased the angle of the engine (and stern tube) by 1.5*, transferred my new angle to the sides of the engine box, and installed the cleats and cross pieces to support my engine template. Not surprisingly, the practice of the first attempt improved my second attempt. All of the angles and clearances seem better. I'm still 3.3* below my max, and the stern tube is exiting the deadwood at a right angle - or very nearly. Additionally, the engine isn't so far forward that it's going to encroach on the galley space.







I collected my rough measurements for the engine foundations; now I need to purchase the material to build them.

2 comments:

Adventures of Salacia said...

Looking great...I'll bring mine over since your just about finished with yours!

Ariel | CD 36 said...

Haha! Good one. I have miles to go! But thanks.