Sunday, September 06, 2015

Hanging locker, Galley and settee shelves

The goal for today was to get all of the "furniture" constructed and ready for glassing. I succeeded. Tomorrow should see all of the furniture tabbed to the hull and, if I'm lucky, a coat of paint under and behind the settees, etc.

Today, like every other day spent working on the boat, began with a trip up the ladder. Just for giggles I made a tick mark on the topsides each time I ascended the ladder. It wasn't long before my count looked like this:

Up in the boat, I began working on the hanging locker. I'd devised a plan and repurposed an old slatted door that I had stored up in the garage attic. Where this door was on the A30 originally, I have no clue, but it was just what I needed for the hanging locker. After taking a few measurements, I trimmed the door along its length to fit the new area. I picked up some new brass hinges and mortised the door and the jamb. The 50-year-old door fit like a champ.

The door done, it was time to install a top and shelf to close off the hanging locker. I installed cleats on the two bulkheads after confirming level and square in relationship with the door, cut the shelf out of 1/2" ply, and secured the shelf with SS screws.



I then worked on the bottom of the locker. After a few quick measurements, I cut the base for the locker out of 3/4" ply and secured it to the cleat/doorstop mounted to the aft bulkhead. The forward edge will be glassed in place from the inside. Again, things fit together very nicely, making this guy very happy.


Moving aft to the saloon, I confirmed some of my earlier measurements for the settee shelf, installed cleats, and made a pattern for the shelf. I transferred the pattern to a piece of 1/2" ply, installed a cleat along the inboard edge of the shelve, and screwed it in place. The cabinet face in the picture below is original to the boat but somewhat hacked up. I think I have a plan for it. We'll see how it comes together.


The galley bulkhead and shelf were all that remained of the "furniture." I secured the middle galley bulkhead with a cleat, then installed cleats in the larger area of the cabinet. After taking careful measurements, I plotted my shelf dimensions on 1/2" ply, cut it out, and dropped it in place.


Before quitting for the day, I removed the settee tops and backs, as well as the head cabinet face in preparation for tomorrow's round of fiberglassing, and made one last trip down the ladder.


No comments: