Friday, September 04, 2015

Head compartment and more sanding

It's odd how a few hours of work doesn't really look like much when it comes down to posting the progress. I worked for about four hours today, doing everything from lightly sanding the tabbing to reconstructing the head compartment.

I began by hitting all the fiberglass and tabbing work I've completed with the sander to knock off the sharp bits and prep the areas for paint, which included cutting some of the tabbing flush with a port opening. I also removed the unsightly dried epoxy that had dripped down the bulkheads. Although a bit cooler today, the weather is still hot and humid, making sanding a sweaty, sticky - and itchy - affair.


I'd planned to reinstall two shelves in the starboard hanging locker, per the original construction, but only installed the upper shelf, which will be glassed to the chainplate knee.


After installing cleats for the lower shelf, I got to thinking that there might be a better setup for the space and opted to wait on making the second shelf. Stowing items high and outboard doesn't make much sense - unless they're light - and I just couldn't imagine stowing clothes or other similar items in an area that is intended for damp foulies. But perhaps I'll change my mind. It can wait for now.

With the shelves and cleats installed on the opposite side in the head compartment, I made a template for the head cabinet and transferred my marks to 1/2" plywood and did a test fit. After a bit of shaping with the sander, the face slipped into place and I secured it temporarily with two SS screws.

Before
After
I discovered two original wooden doors in my pile of parts that appear to be the old head cabinet doors, so I plan to remove the face and cut the openings. To that end, I marked the position of the two shelves for reference and drew a line marking level. Before I can make the cuts, however, I need to buy a decent jigsaw. (I borrowed one from my school for the weekend, but I haven't experimented with it yet so I decided to move forward with the base for the head.)

Originally I'd planned to make the base for the head a bit deeper, but after discovering that sitting on the head would require tippee-toeing, I located it very near to its original height. Again, I set up a small board for reference, made a series of marks and measurements, then transferred those measurements to a piece of 3/4" plywood. I added two cleats for support inboard, and set the base in place.


And with the head in its approximate position…


And here's what the area looked like when I acquired the boat:


There are two holes - intake and discharge - that I will fill and glass. The lower one, located under the base of the head, is too awkward to use. The upper one, pictured below, is too big for the intake seacock I plan to use, so once it's filled, I'll drill a new hole. It looks like the location is going to work well.


That little bit wrapped up my work for today. All in all, today was a good day - even for just a few hours. I checked off about seven different items on my to-do list, and I'm hoping to check off a few more over the long weekend.

5 comments:

Adventures of Salacia said...

Lots of great progress...all the real time consuming work is in the details....

How are leveling all the shelves...with almost no square or flat surfaces?

Ariel | CD 36 said...

You're not kidding about the details eating up time. I was considering a separate post that details all of the steps necessary just to install something as simple as a shelf.

Leveling the shelves isn't too bad since I began the project by leveling the boat. There are some irregularities, of course, but overall she's level and things are close to square. That piece of plywood behind the head, for example, was a uniform measurement side-to-side from top to bottom; the only trimming was due to the fiberglass tabbing at the ends.

I have spent a few moments scratching my head, trying to figure out how to define some of the areas. Rebuilding a boat certainly requires a little creativity and ingenuity. I'm enjoying the challenge.

Adventures of Salacia said...

What did you use as a reference to level the boat? Bridgedeck?

Ariel | CD 36 said...

I used a combination of areas: the bridge deck, the companionway hatch slides, the existing main bulkheads under the mast beam, the mast step, the cabin sole, and across the coaming bases, all of which seemed to agree with each other.

Adventures of Salacia said...

Thanks...I think once deck is stripped and before any fiberglass / deck repairs start I'll level the boat the best I can.